Learn About Kennett Through Murals
Downtown murals painted by Katie Coleman

In the beginning, Kennett was a Native American settlement bounded on the east by the Swamps of Little River and Lake Nic Ormy, and on the west by the swamps of Varney’s River. Chief Chilletecaux’s camp was on Cedar St because it had access to clear running water and other streams (sloughs) that ran through Kennett. He was a member of the Delaware tribe and had a two-room cabin near the intersection of Cedar and College Streets. He raised corn and had both a peach and an apple orchard. In 1845, the state created Dunklin County and designated the village of Chilletecaux as the county seat.
The early settlers were hunters and trappers, and there were all types of timber: Tupelo gum, bald cypress, sycamore, oak, elm, hickory, ash, and cottonwood. Woodsmen followed trappers to harvest the forests. The waters and prairies were blackened by thousands of geese, or made white by the beautiful swan, or changed to the dingy hue of the blue crane, or brightened by the rich coloring of the mallard duck. Wild turkeys, parakeets, hawks, owls, and the American Eagle were also residents.
By 1850, the county was a vast forest filled with wild animals and fur-bearing creatures; the largest were the buffalo, which left in 1847. Elk were numerous as were deer, bears, wolves, panthers, catamounts, wild cats, and fur-bearing creatures such as beaver, otter, mink, coon, and opossum. Although the town was established in 1846, it officially became “Kennett” in 1851 in honor of St. Louis Mayor L.M. Kennett. Some of the town's earliest churches were established in 1877. Some of the earlier church buildings that remain include the Presbyterian Church (1915), the First Methodist Church (1917), the First Baptist Church (1920), and the First Christian Church (1925).
During the Civil War, Kennett, as part of Dunklin County, seceded from the Union. In 1863, the courthouse and most of the Square’s buildings were burned, and the town had a population of around 200. Union troops occupied the area that year, with guerrillas constantly roaming. Times were difficult until the arrival of the railroad in Kennett in 1890, bringing economic recovery from the war through timber and agricultural expansion. The St. Louis, Kennett, and Southern Railroad from Campbell to Kennett was primarily established by a man named Louis Houck. In 1895, Houck extended it to Caruthersville. He later sold it, along with some of his other lines, which ran from the Bootheel to St. Louis and San Francisco.
In 1892, the city’s brick courthouse was constructed, which was the third since the town’s establishment. In 1896, the Opera House (the site of this mural) opened and became one of the many bustling businesses in Kennett Square.


The Little River Drainage Project was the world’s largest at the time, moving more earth than the Panama Canal, yet many remain unaware of its significance. Discussions over draining this swampy region began as early as 1840; however, equipment for such a project was not available until the early 1900s. The work began in 1913 and transformed the area from swampland into productive farmland.
The project took around twenty years to complete, with many workers living on houseboats. It included building 957.8 meters of ditches and 304.43 miles of levees, requiring the expertise of some of the nation's best engineering minds. It required mosquito-repellent men, steam-powered slump polers and drudgers, with some on a 24-hour work schedule. It endured the Great Mississippi Flood, the Depression, disease, and constant equipment repairs. Thanks to this project and the old Mississippi Delta, our region produces one-third of Missouri's agricultural output and has some of the richest soil in the state.
In 1923, the Ely Walker Shirt Factory No 5 opened its doors in Kennett. Thanks to our booming cotton region, Ely-Walker and Company, based in St. Louis, partnered with Kennett to build a three-story factory that would produce affordable clothing and serve as a major employer for women working outside the home. It was a major industry for over sixty years, employing 300-400 women and men in our area. The building that housed the factory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Kennett’s movie theater history began in 1907 with its first theater, which closed after only two weeks. Just two years later, the city boasted two theaters, and at times as many as three operated simultaneously. The Palace Theater was built in 1915 as The Alamo, named for its resemblance to the famous Texas landmark. It seated about 500 patrons and showed five-reel silent films, each about 30 minutes long. In 1917, new owners renamed it The Palace Theater, where silent films were accompanied by a pipe organ, alongside vaudeville performances, orchestras, and live plays.
A major 1927 renovation modernized the theater, adding a telephone and other state-of-the-art amenities. Advertised as the "best theater between St. Louis and Memphis," it seated 800 people on the main floor. According to the Delta Dunklin Democrat, the St. Louis, Kennett, and Southeastern Railroad operated a "Theater Special" from Kennett to Piggott that allowed residents from Arkansas communities, West Kennett, Patterson, Bell City, Nimmons, and Carryville to travel by steam locomotive to Kennett for entertainment.
A new era arrived in 1930 with Kennett's first "talkie" movies. On Sunday, January 10, matinee showings of Fast Company, a comedy-drama, and He Did His Best, a comedy, introduced audiences to motion pictures with synchronized sound. Another extensive remodeling in 1937 created the theater largely as it appears today. The expansion added more seating, an orchestra pit, drop curtains, the latest projection and sound equipment, decorative ceilings and walls, luxurious floor coverings, and—perhaps most importantly—air conditioning. The advent of air conditioning in movie theaters beginning in 1925 was the origin of the “summer blockbuster” – Hollywood studios changed their release strategy from opening the biggest movies in the winter to their highest-budget films during July and August, when people bought movie tickets to escape the summer heat.
Except for periodic renovations, The Palace operated continuously under local ownership from 1915 until it was sold to the Kerasotes Theatres chain in 1975. Kerasotes updated the seating, concession stand, restrooms, and draperies before the theater later became part of AMC, which closed it after Thanksgiving weekend in 2010. The final film shown was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1.
For more than three years, the Palace sat dark—a quiet reminder of Kennett's rich movie-going tradition. In the summer of 2014, two local businesswomen, determined to preserve a beloved landmark and breathe new life into downtown, reopened the theater with Disney's Maleficent, and the latest technology, including Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound. More than a century after it first welcomed audiences, the Palace continues to fulfill its promise of "bringing Hollywood to Kennett, one movie at a time."

The Delta Fair has been a cherished tradition in Kennett for well over a century. The first fair board was organized in 1891 as the Dunklin County Farmers and Breeders Fair Association. It later became the Kennett Fair Association and, in 1985, was renamed the Delta Fair Board, the name it carries today. Each year, the Delta Fair welcomes thousands of visitors from Southeast Missouri, Northeast Arkansas, and West Tennessee, making it the region's largest fair. The fair offers all the excitement of a classic county fair, including livestock exhibits, arts and crafts, a beauty pageant, live entertainment, carnival rides, games of chance, and favorite fair foods. It is also home to the area's largest Demolition Derby, one of the week's most anticipated events.
Traditionally held during the last week of September, the fair officially begins with the Delta Fair Parade on Tuesday evening. Stretching approximately 1½ to 2 miles, the parade begins near the Kennett High School. It travels east along First Street through the Square and ends at the Southeast Missouri State University Regional Campus. From there, it’s a short distance to the Delta Fairgrounds, where the Midway opens and the week's festivities officially begin.
The parade showcases colorful floats, marching bands, Delta Fair royalty, fire trucks, horses, community organizations, and local businesses. One of its most beloved traditions is tossing candy to children lining the streets. Although the parade begins at 5:00 p.m., families often place lawn chairs along the route early in the day to reserve their favorite viewing spots, creating a festive atmosphere that signals the start of one of Kennett's most popular annual celebrations.

Born in Kennett, Missouri, on February 11, 1962, Sheryl Crow was raised in a musically talented family. She grew up listening to her father play trumpet in jazz bands, and her mother play and teach the piano. Crow, already musically gifted, went on to major in music composition, performance, and teaching at the University of Missouri. Her musical career took off in the late 80s, when she toured with Michael Jackson and collaborated with other talented artists, including Eric Clapton, Sting, Stevie Wonder, Don Henley, and more.
Her collaborations, compositions, and “Tuesday Night Music Clubs” paid off handsomely, earning her 9 Grammy Awards over her forty-year music career. In 2023, Sheryl Crow was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Despite her worldwide fame, she remains humble and extremely charitable to the town where she grew up. One of her many donations was a junior Olympic-sized pool, known as The Sheryl Crow Aquatic Center. In addition to being open to the public, it has provided a home for the undefeated Kennett Swim Team since its opening in 2005.

Roy Causbie opened Causbie’s Bakery in Kennett in 1945. Roy’s wife, Jean, joined him in the business after their marriage in 1948. Together, they built a family bakery that became a familiar and lasting part of the community. Roy remained the owner and operator of Causbie’s Bakery for more than 65 years. The bakery’s importance cannot be measured simply by the number of doughnuts, cookies, cakes, or pastries it has sold. Its real value lies in the memories it evokes — birthday cakes, Saturday morning visits with family, and the familiar experience of walking through the door of a business that felt like part of home.

"We want to thank the Kennett Dunklin County Genealogical Society, John Robison, Lisa Dry, and the Chamber of Commerce for their help in researching Kennett’s history. The Paint the Town Committee hopes to inspire all Kennett citizens to create a bright future for our community by remembering our past."








